Hmmm…good question! And we’ve been getting asked this more and more frequently.
In an effort to mentally prepare for life aboard, I’ve been pondering all the lovely landlubber conveniences we will miss the most once we set sail. Yeah yeah, I know we won’t really know until we’re gone, but in the meantime, I am trying my darndest to convince myself that I’ll be totally ready to handle anything once we leave. Wishful thinking? Perhaps!
Let’s face it, living on a sailboat isn’t all perfect white sand beaches and sipping coconut drinks. I wish!
Although there are LOTS of super great things about sailing off into the sunset, there are also plenty of things I’m 100% certain I will miss quite dearly.
So, here’s my running list at the moment…
- An obvious one. Friends + family. Ugh I hate this one. Total debby downer. But thank god for Skype! And quick airplane flights (if needed).
- Goodbye convenient washer + dryer. Hello hand washing out of a bucket (unless we’re at a marina or close to a laundromat)! Luckily, we will mostly be washing swimsuits and dry fit clothing, so let’s hope it’s not that bad.
- Access to unlimited hot water and long showers. This might take a little getting used to. 😉 I’ve never had to lug water in jerry cans. Should be interesting.
- Fast, reliable Wifi. I’ll miss this for sure, but it’ll probably be good for me/us to not feel the need to be so “connected” all the time.
- Publix. There is no grocery store in the world that even compares. Period. Dear Publix, you will be missed more than you know.
- On that note, easy access to restocking my Diet Coke supply. I see an unfortunate withdrawal/detox situation in my future.
- Easy access to grass (for Oliver). I actually think he’ll adapt quite well and won’t mind “going” on astroturf while on the boat, but I’ll probably still feel a little sad for him if we’re not able to regularly get him to land.
- Pumpkin season. Okay, I’ll admit I have a minor obsession with pumpkin-flavored-scented-whatever. Where will I find the nearest Starbucks in the Caribbean for my favorite pumpkin spice latte in the Fall? Do any islands get pumpkin beer, pumpkin bread, etc? Total #firstworldproblems, I know. I suppose I can make my own pumpkin goodies, right?
- Freshly painted nails. More #firstworldproblems. I actually hate the chore of going to get my nails done, but I love the result. Guess this is something else I can do myself if I really want to.
- And sending and receiving snail mail. Especially holiday cards!!!
I just asked Jereme the same question, and here was his stellar response…
I guess that’s one way of putting it. 😉 Only Jereme.
So…the real question is…what else are we forgetting? And what else do I need to prepare for mentally. And seriously, let’s hope I don’t die from diet coke withdrawal if we run out. 😉 Only kidding.
>>Thanks for visiting LAHOWIND sailing blog! We’d love for you to get to know us and follow our story as we attempt to navigate a whole new world of sailing.